If you would like to help us make these calls to action realities, please get in touch with our Public Affairs and Communications Officer, Kate Mahoney at email@example.com or call +44 (0)20 7343 1805.
In recent years the Skills and Education system has been overhauled considerably with far-reaching reforms, including changes to the funding system, the Apprenticeship Levy and the introduction of T-levels.
Whilst we largely support the Government’s programme of ambitious reforms, a number of unintended consequences have arisen and unfortunately, the number of apprenticeships starts are down on the year.
We have therefore released our Transforming Education manifesto, which includes 6 calls to action to help ensure the effective implementation of the Government’s reforms, promote social mobility and guarantee that the most disadvantaged learners can achieve their ambitions.
We are asking the Government to:
- Launch a comprehensive review of Pre-Apprenticeship funding to examine whether current provision is fit for purpose
- Develop an awareness campaign to demonstrate the benefits of Further Education, Apprenticeships and T-levels
- Guarantee the successful roll-out of T-Levels
- Launch a ‘social mobility fund’ to ensure that the hardest to reach can access employment and Apprenticeships
- Remove barriers for learners, including, where appropriate, the GCSE maths and English requirement, replacing it with Functional Skills qualifications
- Support small employers by implementing a guaranteed ring-fenced budget for Apprenticeships and reviewing the 20% off-the-job requirement