We have an exciting opportunity for a Garden Services Apprentice.
You will be supported by Guinness staff to undertake the role of Garden Services Apprentice. You will also receive dedicated support and teaching from your YMCA Tutor to achieve a Level 2 Horticulture Apprenticeship qualification.
Core Key Work Responsibilities
- Working under supervision, provide a high-quality cleaning, grounds and garden service, making sure we comply with agreed standards, specifications and timescales.
- Working under supervision, deliver Estate Services, including cleaning, gardening, weed-spraying, hard surface sweeping and refuse removal.
- Working under supervision, ensure the use, storage and maintenance of garden tools and equipment in accordance with Health and Safety requirements.
- Represent Guinness on site, working with customers, contractors and colleagues to report fly tipping, graffiti and safeguarding alerts.
- Ensure uniform and Personal Protective Equipment is correctly worn at all times.
- Work to a professional standard with good attendance
To fulfil your Key Work Responsibilities, we will expect you to:
- Health and safety – follow health and safety processes and procedures and work to safe systems of work. Ensure you follow all information contained in your risk assessments and COSHH information sheets.
- Environmental - prevent and control local pollution ensuring estates are cleaned effectively and rubbish is removed as required.
- Planting, plant growth and development - support the work on our estates such as planting, sowing, turfing, preparation of seed beds and mulching.
- Tools, equipment and machinery – ensure safe use of equipment e.g. spades, rakes, shovels; controlled mowers, hand- held strimmer, hedge cutter etc
- Vegetation control - follow Guinness processes for site clearance, using tools and machinery for pruning and vegetation control. Ensure you undertake correct pruning techniques.
- Communication – speak politely to our customers and colleagues, acknowledge any concerns raised to you and assure them you will escalate this to your Manager.
Requirements and prospects
Level 2 in Maths and English or the ability to complete these with support by the end of the Apprenticeship.
- May have regular communication with colleagues and/or external contacts around queries/requests for standard information, but predominantly on an individual basis or within own function.
- May work collaboratively with colleagues to deliver own accountabilities.
- May assist less experienced or temporary staff.
- Able to carry out physical tasks within Health and Safety guidelines.
- Able to work effectively within a team.
- Able to use all equipment safely and effectively as instructed.
- Able to understand and act upon reasonable instructions from a designated mentor or supervisor.
- Excellent timekeeping.
- Demonstrate the Guinness Behaviours.
Opportunity to learn and develop within the company.
Things to consider
£12,000 up to £16,272 - NWM based on age
Training to be provided
Full Level 2 Horticulture apprenticeship standard. PA1. Emergency first aid at work
About the employer
The Guinness Partnership
We’re in one of the most exciting periods in the history of Guinness and have set ourselves ambitious and challenging objectives for the future. Our vision to deliver great service, provide great homes, to be a great business and to be a great place to work is central to everything we do.
The Guinness Partnership, Bower House Unit 1, Stable Street, Chadderton