Oakwood Academy are able to offer a position for an apprentice receptionist for our very busy school office, supporting the School Office Manager in the operation of the school’s administrative functions.
1. Reception Duties:
- Be responsible for external and internal phone calls, dealing with them in a professional and helpful way and delivering any messages in a timely manner
- Welcome all visitors to the school, including parents, pupils, governors and all other external and internal stakeholders in a friendly manner, ensuring that any external visitors sign in and out and follow the correct safeguarding and evacuation procedures.
- Be the first point of contact for staff queries and requests and ensure they are directed to the appropriate member of staff/person as required
- Be responsible for the main reception area, keeping it clean and tidy
2. Administration Duties:
- Produce correspondence e.g. letters, emails and text messages as requested
- Sort and distribute post on a daily basis and keep an accurate record of outgoing mail
- Assist school staff with photocopying requests
- Make phone calls to parents/Carers when requested
- Liaise with the site managers for school maintenance under the direction of the Office manager.
- Keep pupil files up to date, archive paperwork as necessary and dispose of data in line with the General Data Protection Regulation
- Responsible for hospitality for meetings and maintenance of the Teaching Room to ensure it is always tidy.
- Ensure a positive and professional approach which represents the School’s ethos is consistently presented to all pupils, colleagues, families and visitors.
- Take part in all relevant professional development including Whole Staff Inset Days
- Remain fully aware of and actively promote the school’s policies and procedures
- Be aware of the school’s policy and procedures related to safeguarding and child protection and adhere to these at all times
- Carry out any other duties associated with the work of the school as directed by the Office Manager commensurate with grade of the post
Requirements and prospects
English and math at GCSE or equivalent at grade 4/C and above
- Willing to learn and show commitment
- Confident, professional and trustworthy
- Demonstrate appropriate awareness of confidentiality in sensitive, personal and school issues
- You will need good communication skills and be comfortable with both telephone and face to face communication with visitors and parents
- Experience with software packages such as Word / Excell
- Written, verbal and listening skills
● A permanent position may be offered upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
● Opportunity to learn and develop within the Trust
Things to consider
The role is during school term time only plus 5 professional development days = 44.7 paid weeks per year.
Training to be provided
About the employer
Oakwood Academy – Kings Academy Trust
Oakwood Academy is a special school for pupils aged 9-19 years who have a range of moderate and/or complex learning difficulties. At Oakwood Academy we encourage pupils to respect the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. The PE Department has been a Sports College since 2009 and are a ‘YST Inclusion School’ with the Youth Sport Trust which involves taking a lead role for promoting inclusive PE and disability sport across Greater Manchester through the Greater Manchester Sports Inclusion Group. You can follow us on twitter (@PeDeptOakwoodA)